Thursday, March 12, 2009

Priceless Art

Gabe here. One thing folks might not know about me is that I used to draw as a kid. Quite a lot actually. The other day Meg and I were going through our closet when we came across a folder filled with drawings from my childhood. Didn't even know I had it. Got quite a laugh when I opened it up.
I never draw now. Kind of a sad story, which I'll tell in a sec. But first, here's some of my better work, which was probably made when I was around 10 or 11. I guess I thought I was going to create a new comic strip or something.




And here's some random drawing from around the same time. I thought this was so cool when I did it. Hindsight is an amazing thing. It provides a lot of discernment. Notice that this a signed edition.


But before any of this stuff, I was addicted to drawing these little action figure/super soldier type guys. I used to be really into G.I. Joe, so I suppose that was my inspiration. But these dudes are actually my reason for not drawing anymore. Now I know my timeline is off a bit, because the comic strip stuff came later, but, ultimately, it's because of these guys that I no longer pick up the pencil. As you'll see below, I created a profile for each person, with ridiculous stats and listings of each character's specialties. As if these aren't bad enough, I realize now that the drawings are pretty awful as well. Here is a small sampling (it really is small--I have lots of these), and then I'll tell the rest of the story:



Here's a really original one. Might even be copyright infringement or something. I didn't know any better.


And sometimes I wasn't satisfied with just the regular drawing of a character--I had to have "action" shots as well:







So, finally, the reason I stopped drawing is because I once drew this one really amazing character named "Samurai Joe." I think he was from Japan. That's pretty normal. But can you guess what his specialty was?
Nope, not fighting.
It was eating pizza.
Yeah, once my older brother saw that, he just had to make fun of me. And who can blame him, really? It was pretty darn stupid. At the time all my dreams were crushed, though. I just remember crying and throwing half my drawings in the trash.
Unfortunately, Samurai Joe doesn't seem to be in the folder. Oh well. He's probably better off wherever he ended up.
It looks like I did try to get back to drawing, perhaps after I realized that human beings actually have joints and definition, but you'll see from the sketch below that I didn't get very far.


I know my brother is reading this, so, Seth, I want you to know that there are no hard feelings. Honestly. I'm over it. Besides, I'm thinking I can sell these as classic, collector items now and make a pretty penny. We'll see who's laughing then. Here's what I think each will fetch.
Comic strip character head shot: $5,000
Complete "Bob and the Lion's Cage" comic strip: $10,000
Solo action figure: $100,000
Solo action figure and "action" shot: $1 million

6 comments:

klydelanta said...

You could have been the next Bill Watterson or Stan Lee. Damn you older brother!

thisisntjimmy said...

You're being awfully hard on your younger self... That's pretty good stuff for a kid.

Drop your price a bit and you probably could sell them at an outsider art fair... you just might have to make up some story about mental illness.

Unknown said...

I'm trying to feel guilt...but I'm just laughing too hard. Let me get back to you.

TukandCo said...

Nice! You can generate some supplemental income and then come out here. Too bad you just missed the WonderCon comics convention...

Unknown said...

The drawing is far better than I could even do now, but I'm shocked and appalled that you forgot the apostrophe in "lion's". I hope your boss doesn't see this post, because it is awfully poor showing for an editor. ;) I also find it hilarious that your writing still looks exactly the same! I like the fact that you cut (or tore) the paper surrounding the action figures to be custom fit to them.

If this is the worst Seth ever did to you, you should probably consider yourself lucky. My older sister used to have to babysit my younger brother and me. We would force her into her closet and not let her out until close to the time our parents would be home. One time I broke my brother's pinky (we were just playing and I didn't do it purposely, but still). In 10th grade I wrote a humorous poem about my sister getting hit by a train and read it out loud to my English class. She heard about it and was not amused. Many of their problems might ultimately be traced to me.

Also, he may have saved you a lot of teasing misery in school by stopping what you now admit was sort of a weird hobby.

A word of advice, since you haven't started having kids. Crank them out as fast as your sanity allows. I'm not saying that it's easier to have kids that are spaced closer together, but I do think that they can play together and relate better when they are closer in age. The age difference between Kate and Quinn is roughly 3 years, just like between you and Seth. Kate doesn't comprehend that Quinn is 3 years less mature than she is, and that it is ok! She just thinks he's an idiot!

sooprgrll said...

these are fun.