Thursday, July 3, 2008

Waterfalls...

We have a few man made waterfalls here in NYC- Gabe and I saw a few of them last weekend while on our walk across the Brooklyn Bridge- they are cool, but not anything amazing...

Here is some info I found online:

New York City will host an exciting art exhibit featuring spectacular man-made waterfalls 90 to 120 feet (27 to 37 meters). They will be softly lit at night and available for everyone to see. There will be 4 falls total.

The New York City Waterfalls will be constructed using building elements that are ubiquitous throughout New York: scaffolding is the backbone of the structures, and pumps will bring water from the East River to the top; the water then falls from heights of 90 to 120 feet back into the river. Fish and aquatic life are protected by filtering the water through intake pools suspended in the river. To build the Waterfalls, Public Art Fund has partnered with Tishman Construction Corporation and has engaged a team of design, engineering and construction professionals.


Here are a few pics that we took:


I think the most shocking thing I read was this quote:
The city is expecting tourism revenues to increase by $55 Million due to this $15 million exhibition




So this project cost $15 million- totally nuts, and do we really think people are going to come to the city just to see these?

4 comments:

The Breedloves said...

I am so on my way back to check them out! Book me a flight. We miss you guys!

fantasy weather league said...

I'm going to go ahead and say, "Yeah, I think they will pull tourists" (though perhaps not 55 mil worth) just because NYC is an easy destination and any old excuse to come here vs Boston or DC, or wherever, is good enough to draw people. I must say though, that Gates-mania also seems to be at play here- and the waterfalls (as much as I actually enjoy them) lack both the gaudy, willful beauty and pointlessness that The Gates managed to balance so well. Whatever, I'm all for publicly (as opposed to privately) subsidized art, and am jealous of places like Berlin or Amsterdam where you walk through the streets and wonder when the hell they detonated an art bomb.

thisisntjimmy said...

I agree with Jen. I'm just sayin'

Abbi Crutchfield said...

We interrupt your regularly scheduled blog comments to bring you this urgent update: the waterfalls suck.

Art sucks too. Back me up on this.